ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence (AI) tool which is used to simulate human conversation. The platform recently set the record for the fastest growing active users, reaching an average of 13 million unique visitors in January 2023. ChatGPT can automate tasks like writing code, essays, and emails. However, it can also be used in numerous other ways, including brainstorming, creating art, improving communication skills, and more.
To unlock the possibilities of ChatGPT, numerous ChatGPT courses are available for beginners, technology enthusiasts, and advanced programmers. These courses explore the principles of artificial intelligence, e.g., its backend processes and its impacts on society. It’s important to note that these courses are not industry certifications. Rather, they are valuable foundations for individuals who want to learn how ChatGPT works.
Here are the top five ChatGPT courses to study online.
1. ChatGPT Teach-Out by the University of Michigan via Coursera
Course duration: 6 hours
This ChatGPT course is a comprehensive introduction to ChatGPT. It has only one module, but it covers everything from defining artificial intelligence (AI) to ethical implications. It is taught by experts from the University of Michigan who discuss the pros and cons of ChatGPT and its prospects for the future. It includes:
- The perceived accuracy of ChatGPT
- How to write good ChatGPT prompts
- How to manage bias and discrimination when using ChatGPT
- The economic and social impacts of ChatGPT in the short and long term
- Best practices for using ChatGPT, and more.
Students can complete this course within three weeks by learning for two hours a week. Over 11,000 students have taken the Teach-Out course so far. Since this course is designed for absolute beginners, graduates can explore more advanced courses about AI upon completion.
2. Intro to ChatGPT by Codecademy
Course duration: 7 hours
Pricing: Free, but optional upgrades are available from $11.99 per month
This ChatGPT course focuses on how to use ChatGPT in personal and professional contexts. It covers topics like creative writing, effective prompting, and summarizing texts. It also explains the inner workings of generative AI. Over 50,000 students have taken this course. Students can learn the following aspects of ChatGPT and AI:
- The potential use cases of ChatGPT across industries
- How ChatGPT can improve business functions
- Ethical concerns about artificial intelligence
- The risks and limitations of ChatGPT and related tools
It’s important to note that students have different pricing options for this course. You can learn for free, but an upgrade is required for a certificate of completion. Paid plans also have additional features like mobile app access, real-world projects, and quizzes.
3. Prompt Engineering for ChatGPT by Vanderbilt University via Coursera
Course duration: 18 hours
The Prompt Engineering for ChatGPT course focuses on how to prompt ChatGPT. It demonstrates how to give the chatbot the correct instructions that yield the most accurate responses. While it is designed for beginners, this course offers expert-level knowledge about writing prompts. There are six modules that teach the following aspects of prompt engineering:
- Prompting patterns and formats
- Fine tuning prompts
- Training ChatGPT using new information
- Prompt limitations
Over 177,000 students have taken this ChatGPT course. There are no prerequisites except for a basic knowledge of computers, browsers, and a free ChatGPT account. Upon completion, you can apply the skills in this course in numerous ways, e.g., writing code, creating meal plans, helping with research, and much more. The course can prepare students for career development e.g., in education, programming, and entrepreneurship.
4. ChatGPT Complete Guide by Udemy
Course duration: 17 hours
The ChatGPT Complete Guide is another comprehensive course that covers ChatGPT and other AI tools like Midjourney and DALL-E 2. You will learn how to use AI for creative writing, making images, videos, and music, boosting productivity, and much more. Over 125,000 students have taken this course so far. The skills covered include:
- Prompt engineering
- Using ChatGPT plugins
- AI coding skills
- Generative art and design, etc.
This course is updated regularly to reflect new technologies and techniques. However,you will have lifetime access to the course contents, including all future course materials. This means that every few months, you will learn something new about ChatGPT and AI tools as they emerge. It is a good foundation course for integrating AI into careers like digital marketing, content creation, and software development.
5. How to Use ChatGPT in Business by edX
Course duration: 1 week
How to Use ChatGPT is an intermediate course for individuals who want to improve business operations using ChatGPT. You should ideally have a background in management, although the skills learned in this course can apply to many different roles in an organization. The course covers topics like:
- ChatGPT fundamentals
- Tailoring prompts for specific business use cases
- Integrating ChatGPT into business infrastructure
- Using ChatGPT to improve strategies and decisions
- Automating business workflows with ChatGPT
Over 5,600 students have taken this course so far. It can help managers and entrepreneurs to transform their businesses using artificial intelligence. On completion, graduates can use their business-oriented AI skills to streamline their companies, qualify for promotions, or apply for more advanced training programs.
Taking a ChatGPT course is the best way to leverage this powerful tool in different contexts. It can boost productivity, creativity, and problem-solving skills.
These are the main advantages you gain from learning ChatGPT:
- Creating original content for a wide range of audiences, e.g., stories, newsletters, headlines, or summaries
- Conducting in-depth, data-driven business research, e.g., marketing strategies, customer segments, and industry trends
- Simulating real-world scenarios and learning how to navigate them, e.g., workplace conflict situations, testing sales pitches, etc.
- Improving learning outcomes, e.g., practicing for exams or creating personalized study plans, etc.
The main challenge of ChatGPT is understanding its risks and limitations. The courses above highlight issues surrounding AI, such as biases, misinformation, plagiarism, and privacy. The AI experts teaching these courses will help you understand and overcome these problems. They instill critical thinking skills alongside technical knowledge of artificial intelligence.